Ernest Dunlevie and B.H. Allen, from New York, New York, and Montreal, Canada, respectively, on January 12, 1910, established the Southern Lumber Company between Hinesville and Walthourville alongside tracks of the Atlantic Coastline Railroad.
First lumber produced by the mill was used to construct a new building for Bradwell Institute on site of the old struc¬ture. A community evolved around the mill and it was named Allenhurst in honor of B.H. Allen. When he severed his partnership with Ernest Dunlevie, the mill became known as the Dunlevie Lumber Company.
Oliver C. Darsey operated the Allenhurst Store Company, a mill activity, while the mill physicians were T.W. Welborn 101 and then B.H. Gibson. Both Welborn and Gibson established medical practices in Liberty County when they left the mill. Vestiges of tram tracks put down by the mill can still be found on the Fort Stewart military reservation and in many parts of Liberty County today.