Cassels Store (1887-1928)

Robert Quarterman Cassels built a three-story, brick general store on site of the old Harrison store at McIntosh in 1887. He built a home across the railroad tracks adjacent to the McIntosh railroad depot. In the years just before the turn of the century, the store was known as R.Q. Cassels & Sons Store, and was operated by Cassels and his sons, Frank and A. Gordon Cassels.


R.Q. Cassels & Sons Store sold everything from thimbles to farm equipment. It had an elevator from the first to the third floor. There was a cotton gin on the grounds used by farmers for many miles around. Many of them came twice a year in wagon trains with their cotton to be ginned and sold, other farm produce, and livestock and hogs to be sold or bartered. They camped in the adjacent woods.


Robert Quarterman Cassels died in 1900. The store was operated from that year to 1928 by Frank and A. Gordon Cassels. After that year the latter son relocated in Savannah, Georgia, where he became prominent in business affairs.