After the war of 1812, the Liberty Independent Troop emerged as the Liberty Troop of Horse. the only volunteer militia unit in Liberty County to continue in existence. The general militia companies, of course. continued to exist as well.
Origin of the Liberty Independent Troop was the “Volunteer Troop of Dragoons” formed in February 1785 and attached that same year to the Liberty County Regiment of Militia to take part in the Creek Indian Wars.
The first commander of the Volunteer Troop of Dragoons was Captain John Berrien. He served for six months and then was transferred to Savannah, Georgia, where he was given the captaincy of a Troop of Horse militia in that city. William McIntosh Jr. became its second captain on August 24, 1785.
Members of the Volunteer Troop of Dragoons furnished their own uniforms, equipment, and mount which they stabled at their homes. The state provided little more than arms and ammunition. They received pay only when they were on active duty, but not for musters, as it was their lawful duty to serve. All of these conditions continued even after the unit became the Liberty “Independent Troop. Members of the unit elected a captain and lieutenants from their number, who selected the non-commissioned officers and a clerk.
The first place of muster and parade ground of the Liberty Independent Troop was the race track of the Liberty County Jockey Club near Riceboro. It also took part in special events around the county on parade grounds constructed and maintained by residents of communities in which the facilities were located. It celebrated each Independence Day at Sunbury until 1833.