From the end of the Civil War to 1872 there was no state militia unit in Liberty County. It was that year that the Liberty Independent Troop and the Liberty Guards were reorganized as a part of the state militia.
First meeting of the Liberty Independent Troop took place at its old parade ground near Riceboro. Its members elected William A. Fleming their captain. The Liberty Guards was reorganized at Jones Creek in the upper part of the county, and its members elected Joseph William Hughes Jr. their captain.
It was in 1875 that the Liberty Independent Troop moved its base of operations to Goshen, between Flemington and Mclntosh, and it and the Liberty Guards became a part of the newly organized First Squardron, Georgia Cavalry.